A site collection is a group of websites with the same owner and administration settings. Your collection of sites is located under the URL you entered when you enabled SharePoint.
Creating a site adds a page in the collection to serve specific teams or a unique group of users for collaboration, publishing content, or setting up a workspace. Each site has a unique URL and permissions to control access.
To create a Site, log into SharePoint with your Admin ID and password and perform the following steps:
- Click the Site Actions drop-down menu and select Create.
- Under the Web Pages header, select Sites and Workspaces.
- Under Select a template, browse through free layouts to display your content. Select a page template using the tabs to browse through different layout themes. Click on a template name to view the template accompanied with a brief description of its use. Select the desired template by double clicking on the name of the chosen layout.
- Under User Permissions. Select whether to use the same permissions as the parent site or to use unique permissions for this page.
Note: If you select Use unique permissions, you will be redirected to the Set Up Groups for this Site page to assign those permissions after you've created this page.
- Select navigation options, as desired.
- Click the Create button. The next page displays your new site where you can start adding content.